Gluten-free, moist and delicious cake with healthy ingredients like carrots, pecans, and dates along with the flavor from caramelized sugar. Tastes amazing without frosting but just a dusting of Confectionary sugar.
You can also try this recipe with carrots, walnuts and fig combination which also works quite well!
Course: Dessert/ Snack
Yield: 9-10 servings
Baking time: 45-50 mins
- Gluten-free All-purpose flour- 1 cup
- Room temp Eggs-2
- Baking soda- 3/4 tsp
- Salt-1/2 Tsp
- Vegetable oil-3/4 cup
- Grated Carrots-1 cup
- Chopped Pecans-1/2 cup
- Pitted and Chopped dates-1 cup
- Castor or Cane sugar- 3/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract- 1 tsp.
- FOR CARAMEL SYRUP- 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup hot water
- Confectionery Sugar- 1/2 cup for dusting
- Square cake tin
- To prepare the caramelized sugar syrup– Keep a small heavy-bottom saucepan on medium heat and add 1/2 cup sugar. Do not stir often and let the sugar melt and starts to simmer after 8- 10 mins.
- Gently tilt the saucepan to evenly distribute the color as the sugar caramelizes. When it turns an amber color, carefully pour hot water and stir using a wooden spatula.
- Turn off the heat and make sure you don’t burn the sugar. Once done, you will get a light amber color syrup.
- For the Cake Batter–
- Prepare the cake tin by spraying cooking spray and lining with a parchment sheet.
- In a small bowl gently mix the grated carrots, dates, and pecans with 1 tbsp. flour to prevent sinking in the cake and for even distribution.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and doubles in volume.
- Now add the oil and vanilla extract and combine well using an electric mixer.
- Add the cooled caramel sugar syrup to the wet mixture and combine well.
- Sieve together the flour, salt, and baking soda into the wet mixture in 2 parts.
- Fold the grated carrots, date and pecan mixture into the batter using a spatula.
- Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared dish and bake at 350°F for about 45- 50 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake tin onto a wire rack and let it cool.
- Cut the cake into equal squares, dust with confectioners sugar and serve!