One of my all-time favorite light tea cake with an aroma that takes me back to my childhood memories.
This is a moist and light Gluten-free vanilla cake with a hint of flavor from nutmeg and cardamom. Best to be had with tea or coffee.
Course: Dessert/ Snack
Yield: 8 servings
Baking time: 35- 40 mins
- Gluten-free All-purpose flour- 1 1/2 cup
- Fresh ground Cardamom- 1 tsp
- Nutmeg powder-1/2 tsp
- Room temp Eggs- 3
- Baking soda-1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder- 11/4 tsp
- Salt-1/2 Tsp
- Unsalted Butter(at room temp)-1/2 cup
- Castor or Cane sugar- 3/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract- 1 tsp.
- Milk/Full fat Yogurt-1/2 cup
- Confectionery Sugar- 1/2 cup for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl/ stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and pale.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and beat well to get a fluffy mixture.
- Now add the vanilla extract and milk(/yogurt) into the mixture and combine well.
- Sieve together the flour, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda into the wet mixture in 2 parts and fold gently.
- Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared dish and bake at 350°F for about 35 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake tin onto a wire rack and let it cool.
- Dust the cake with confectioners sugar, slice and enjoy along with a cup of tea!
- You can also serve this cake with light whipped cream and fresh berries.