Homemade version of the Classic Banana Pudding inspired by the famous Magnolia Bakery,NY. Simple and delicious comfort dessert perfect for all occasions.
No layering needed, you can even throw the banana slices and wafer crumbles into the cooled pudding, refrigerate and dig in!
I have made the pudding (eggless) from scratch here , but you can also use instant vanilla pudding mix if you prefer.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Chilling time: 3 hours
Servings: 6-8 servings
- Whole Milk-1 cup
- Evaporated milk-1 cup
- Cornstarch- 3 tbsp.
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla Extract-1 tsp
- Condensed milk- 14 oz
- Unsalted butter-1 tbsp.
- Heavy whipping cream-16 oz
- Bananas- 2
- Vanilla Wafers(I have used Nilla wafers)-11 oz pkt.
- To prepare the pudding-In a large saucepan on medium high, heat the milk and condensed milk stirring occasionally using a whisk until the mixture is hot and combined. Reduce the heat and (make sure you do not roll boil the mixture at any point of the cooking stage).
- In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and salt and add 1/2 cup of the hot milk little at a time to make a lump free mix.
- Now pour the cornstarch milk mixture back to the sauce pan and keep stirring using a whisk on medium heat.
- Continue cooking until the pudding gets thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and butter into the pudding.
- Refrigerate the pudding covered with a cling wrap touching the surface of the pudding to prevent skin formation.
- Now whip the heavy cream in a large bowl until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold the whip cream into the pudding gradually to get a light and fluffy mixture.
- I prefer crumbling the wafers into medium small pieces(not fine powder) than layering the whole wafers as such.
- Use fresh sliced bananas for the recipe.
- Assembling process-In a large glass dish, throw some banana slices, crumbled wafers and generous dollops of whipped pudding. Again sprinkle the wafer crumbles and banana slices and another layer of pudding mixture.
- Top the pudding with wafer crumbles and banana slices and cover the dish with foil sheet and refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving.
- Enjoy cold topped with wafer, banana slices and whipped cream.
- Tip1# Traditionally banana puddings use vanilla pudding but if you love Banana flavor in your homemade pudding, replace the vanilla extract with banana extract.
- Tip2#Allow the pudding to cool before folding in the whip cream.
- Tip3#It is always better to use fresh whipped cream than cool whip for this dessert.