Simple and delicate Classic vanilla Panna cotta layered with strawberry jelly. Panna Cotta is sweetened cream chilled and thickened with gelatin and molded. Panna means cream and cotta means cooked so PANNA COTTA translates to ‘cooked cream’.
Panna cotta can also be served with any fruit toppings. I have used some poppy seeds in the panna cotta. You can use any kind of clear dessert molds or glass ware for making this dessert. It is a beautiful dessert and always a crowd pleaser!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Chilling time: 3-4 hours
- Strawberry Jell-O/ any flavor of your choice-1 oz
- Gelatin powder-3 tsp.
- Poppy seeds(optional)- 2 tbsp
- Full fat milk-1 cup
- Heavy cream- 1 cup
- Condensed milk-1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract- 1 1/2 tsp.
- Finely chopped strawberries- 1/4 cup
- Prepare the Jell-O according to the package instructions.
- Carefully fill half of the desired serving glass with the Jell-O mixture. If you want to set the Jell-O in an angle, place the serving glasses tilted on same angle in muffin tray slots and fill halfway.
- Throw few chopped strawberries into the Jell-O before placing into the refrigerator for that 3-D floating effect.
- Refrigerate for about 3 hours or until its completely set without any jiggle!
- Now keep a sauce pan on medium heat and warm the milk and condensed milk. Stir occasionally.
- In a small bowl, pour the heavy cream and add the gelatin on top and allow it to bloom for about 4 minutes. It will get a wrinkly texture.
- Once the milk mixture is heated, add the gelatin and heavy cream and stir until well combined and gelatin starts to dissolve completely and no granules remain. Make sure the milk do not boil but remains hot!
- Remove the pan from heat and whisk in vanilla, poppy seeds and salt and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once it is cooled for about 5to 10 mins, take out the Jell-O set glasses and keep them upright on a tray and gently pour the milk cream over the panna cotta and fill the serving glass to desired level.
- Refrigerate again for another 3 to 4 hours or until completely set
- Serve demolded or in the same glass topped with any fruit syrup or berries and enjoy cold!
- Variations# You can use any fruit flavored Jell-O for this recipe.
- Add coffee or melted chocolate to Panna cotta mixture to get coffee and chocolate flavors.