A classic dessert from scratch for all the coffee lovers out there! Moist and decadent chocolate cake with mocha mousse layer and chocolate ganache, topped with chocolate shavings.
A perfect dessert for potlucks and parties ! I have used an easy mousse recipe in this dessert instead of the traditional one.
Yield: 12-14 servings
Preparation time: 45 mins -1 hour
- All purpose flour- 1 3/4 cups
- Sugar-2 cups
- Cocoa powder- 3/4 cup
- Veg oil- 1/2 cup
- Eggs- 2
- Baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Salt-1/4 tsp
- 1 cup Boiling water + 1 tsp espresso powder
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Espresso powder- 2 tsp
- Cocoa powder- 1 tsp
- Heavy whipping cream- 3 cups
- Vanilla extract-1 tsp
- Confectionery sugar- 1/2 cup
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Heavy cream – 1/2 cup
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Semi- sweet chocolate chips- 2 cups
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
Prepare the Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and prepare a 13 x9 inch cake pan with baking spray .
- Sieve together the dry ingredients for the cake.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, milk and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients using a spatula.
- Now add the hot coffee liquid(hot water+ espresso powder) into the batter and mix gently. The batter will be runny but it is absolutely fine.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35- 40 mins or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done ,cool on a wire rack.
Prepare Mocha Mousse
- In a small bowl, mix together the espresso powder, cocoa, vanilla, confectionery sugar and salt with a drop of heavy cream to get a thick dark syrup.
- In a bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peak consistency and fold in the thick syrup to get the mousse.
- Pour the mousse on top of the cooled cake and level using a frosting spatula.
Prepare Chocolate Ganache
- In a small heavy bottom pan, heat the heavy cream along with the butter on medium heat. Do not boil.
- Once the butter is melted into the cream, turn off the heat and
- In a separate bowl, add the chocolate chips.
- Pour the warm heavy cream onto the chocolate chips and let it sit for about 3 minutes.
- Once the chips start to melt, whisk slowly until the mixture is smooth and luscious.
- Pour the cooled chocolate ganache on top of the mousse layer and refrigerate the cake for up to 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve the cake, topped with chocolate shavings ,whipped cream or chocolate coated coffee beans.
- Tip# You can also use any box cake mix for the base layer if you don’t want to make the cake from scratch.
- Tip# You can alter flavors according to your taste.