Simple, decadent, Gluten-free dessert and a ‘Perfect Leftover-Cake Hack’. Bite-sized cake balls made from crumbled ‘Sticky Dates and Raisin Cake’, covered in melted chocolate and decorated with sprinkles and white chocolate. Click this link for my ‘Sticky Dates and Raisin Cake’ recipe.
The sticky texture of the cake and the dry fruits help the cake balls to hold the shape without the use of any frostings, unlike classic cake truffle recipes.
Yield: 7-8 servings
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Crumbled Left over Cake- 4 cups
- Melted Dark chocolate/ milk chocolate- 2 cups
- White chocolate melted/ candy melt- 1 cup
- Sprinkles- 2 tbsp.
- Crumble the cake in a large mixing bowl or process in a food processor to fine crumbles or when it starts to get a doughy texture.
- Roll out small bite sized cake balls and place on a parchment line baking tray.
- Freeze for 10 minutes so that the cake balls hold their shape and become firm.
- Now melt the dark chocolate and white chocolate in 2 separate bowls with a tsp. of veg oil/butter in a microwave(stirring in 30 second intervals) or using double boil method. The melted chocolate should have a glossy texture.
- Using two forks or a skewer dip each cake ball into the melted dark chocolate until fully coated and place on the lined tray.Now is a good time to use sprinkles so that they stick onto the chocolate.
- Refrigerate the Cake balls for another 10 minutes.
- Once the chocolate coated cake balls are set, swirl some melted white chocolate and decorate with you favorite toppings like ,coconut flakes,finely chopped nuts or fudge drizzle.
- Refrigerate for another 15 minutes and enjoy your date and raisin cake truffles!
- You can keep these cake truffles refrigerated in airtight containers upto a week.
- Tip# If you are using any other left over cake to make truffles ,make sure you mix the cake crumbles with some frosting to hold the shape and get the doughy texture.