Gluten-free, moist and delicious date and raisins cake soaked in a caramel coffee syrup. A perfect ‘coffee inspired’ and healthy cake, great for breakfast.
—-STICKY DATES & RAISIN CAKE WITH CARAMEL COFFEE SYRUP-—
Yield: 8 servings
Cooking time: 30-40 mins
- Gluten-free All purpose flour- 1 1/2 cups
- Chopped Dates- 1 cup
- Black Raisins- 1/2 cup
- Boiled water- 1 cup
- Baking Soda- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted Butter(room temp)- 1/2 cup/ 1 stick
- Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
- Brown Sugar- 1 cup
- Eggs(room temp)- 2
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Slivered Almonds- 1/2 cup
Light Caramel Coffee Syrup(optional)
- Butter- 3 tbsp.
- Medium Brown Sugar- 6 tbsp.
- Regular coffee- 2-3 tbsp.
- Vanilla extract/Rum/Coffee liquor- 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak the chopped dates and raisins in boiled water along with baking soda. Once the dry fruits absorb the liquid and soften we can add the whole mixture in parts into the cake batter.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and pale.
- Once its done, add the vanilla extract and mix with a spatula.
- Now add the eggs one at a time into the above mixture and beat on low speed till the mixture comes together.
- Add 1/3rd of the flour mixture into the above bowl and beat until combined.
- Now alternate between rest of the flour mixture and the dry fruit mixture(along with the liquid), making sure you end with flour mixture while mixing the batter.
- Sometimes the batter can have a curdled texture which is absolutely fine. As it gets baked, it will come together well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, sprinkle the slivered almonds on top and bake for about 30- 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- TO PREPARE CARAMEL COFFEE SYRUP– Keep a small pan on medium low heat and add the butter and sugar. Let it melt together. Stir occasionally. Once the mixture is melted and comes together, remove from the heat and mix in the vanilla and coffee gently using a spatula. Let the mixture cool down for few minutes.
- Once the cake is baked, cool the cake on a wire rack or in the same cake tin.
- Pour the cooled caramel coffee syrup directly onto the cake so that it gets soaked in all the goodness OR serve the cake slice topped with some syrup, whichever way you like.
- I soaked the cake overnight and it tasted absolutely delicious, bursting with the coffee and caramel flavor.
- The syrup is completely optional if you are not a fan of coffee, the cake tastes great just like that.