South Indian style spiced Beef and potato curry with whole ground spices, prepared in Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt. It’s a delicious comfort food to have with Bread/Hawaiian rolls/Rice. I have provided a milder variation for this curry at the end of the recipe.😊
If you want to use the frozen masala cubes in this recipe , use 4-5 cubes/lb of meat and adjust the spice according to your taste.
—-Instant Pot Beef Curry
Course: Side dish
Yield: 4-6 servings
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Chuck beef/Stew meat(cut into bite size pieces)- 1 lb
- Big potato diced-1
- Chopped tomato- 1
- Medium size Red onion sliced-2
- Slit green chilies-2
- Minced Ginger garlic -2 tbsp. or 1 ginger garlic cube
- Coconut oil(preferably)- 3 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilly powder/ Paprika- 1 tbsp.
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 2 tsp or as per taste
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Garam Masala (Indian All spice mix)- 2 tsp
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Keep the Instant Pot on sauté mode(25 mins), add some coconut oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds along with minced ginger garlic and green chilies.
- Now add the sliced onions, salt, turmeric and sauté until they are translucent followed by diced tomatoes.
- Cook the onion and tomatoes for 3 minutes. Cover the IP with a glass lid. Stir in between to prevent the masala from sticking to the pot.
- Now add all the ground spices and reserve some Garam Masala for the end.
- When oil separates from the mixture add the beef pieces and mix well.
- Close and lock the lid of IP and keep the steam release handle to Sealing. Set the pressure cook time to 20 mins.
- When time is up open the lid using Quick Steam Release.
- Add the diced potatoes and pressure cook for another 3 mins.
- Once done, open the IP using the 10 min natural release. Keep on sauté mode and let the gravy reach desired consistency.
- Sprinkle the reserved Garam masala and chopped cilantro and transfer into the serving dish.
- Serve hot or select the ‘keep warm’ setting in IP
- Mild Variation# You can alter this curry by adding cooked green peas and 1-2 tbsp coconut cream(once the curry is cooked) to get a rich creamier beef gravy.