BOX CAKE MIX HACK! Elevate a plain yellow box cake mix to a home made craving cake using with this recipe. Moist coconut flavored cake with honey almond crusted top.
I usually don’t prefer box cakes but sometimes when convenience calls, I end up using one, but with my twist so it ends in a moist and delicious homemade like cake. I have used King Arthur Gluten free yellow cake mix for this recipe which is super moist and fluffy.
—-HONEY ALMOND COCONUT CAKE
Yield: 6-8 servings
Cooking time: 35-40 mins
- King Arthur Gluten free Yellow cake mix-1
- Vegetable oil-2 tbsp
- Butter(room temperature)-1/2 cup
- Coconut milk-1/3 cup
- Milk-1/3 cup
- Slivered Almonds-1/2 cup
- Desiccated Coconut-1/2 cup
- Honey-3 tbsp.
- Sugar-2 tbsp.
- 9″ round nonstick cake pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp butter and honey in the cake pan and keep in the preheated oven for about 4 mins until the mixture melts together to form a caramel consistency.
- Now carefully take the cake pan out of the oven and sprinkle some slivered almonds and desiccated coconut over the caramel and allow it to set
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter, oil, eggs and coconut milk, milk and cake mix using an electric mixer for about 2 mins until the batter gets a smooth consistency.
- Pour the batter into the prepared caramel set pan and use a spatula to evenly distribute the batter.
- Tap the cake pan twice on the counter to ensure there are no air bubbles.
- Bake as directed in the cake mix package for about 35 to 40 mins or until the center of the cake rises and a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for about half an hour and then invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve the cake sprinkled with some desiccated coconut on top.
- Tip# If you are not a fan of the honey flavor, you can omit that and just use sugar and butter to make caramel.
- Tip# You can substitute the liquid mentioned in the cake mix with pineapple juice/ orange juice/even coffee to get different variations of the cake mix.