Best way to use left over yellow cakes or box cake mix. I have used King Arthur Gluten free yellow cake mix in this recipe.Crumbled/cubed cake pieces layered with fresh chopped strawberries and coconut custard.Its an easy and tasty dessert with a hint of coconut flavor. You can use fruits of your choice.
Yield: 3 servings
Cooking time: 10 mins
- Yellow cake cut into small cubes-2 cups
- Chopped Strawberries- 1 cup
- Milk- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract- 1/2 tspCoconut extract- 1 tsp
- Coconut milk- 1/2 cup
- Corn starch- 2 tbsp.
- Egg yolk-1
- Shredded Coconut- 1/2 cup
- To prepare the Custard: Beat the egg yolk, cornstarch, vanilla and coconut extract and sugar until pale and creamy without any clumps.
- Heat milk and coconut milk in a pan and once its hot(do not boil) reduce the heat, pour few tbsp. warm milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly(liasoning/tempering) to combine well.
- Once the egg mixture is mixed well, pour it back into the pan and keep whisking on medium heat until the custard starts to thicken(do not boil the mixture).
- Turn off the heat and remove the pan from heat.
- Transfer the custard to a glass dish and refrigerate (half an hour)covered with a cling wrap touching the surface of the custard to prevent skin formation.
- Crumble the cake into small pieces or cut into bite size cubes.
- Layer the cake cubes in the bottom of the serving glass followed by chopped strawberries.
- Now add the cold custard and continue layering and top the trifle with the desiccated coconut and serve chilled!