Classic punjabi dish! Savory deep fried paneer(cottage cheese) balls in rich and creamy onion and tomato based gravy with a touch of Indian spices. Best served with Roti, Naan and Paratha.
Cooking Time- 25 min
FOR KOFTA BALLS
- Cooked green peas-1/2 cup
- Shredded paneer- 1 1/2 cups
- Mashed potato-2 cups
- Chopped cilantro-1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste-1/2 tsp
- Chopped onion-1/2 cup
- Salt-as per taste
- Pepper-1 tsp
- Garam masala-1 cup
- Bread crumbs-1 cup
- Chopped onion-1
- Tomato puree-1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Whole spices-(cinnamon stick, cardamom, pepper corns, clove, star anise and bay leaf)
- Cashew and almond powder-1/2 cup
- Heavy cream- 1 tbsp.
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Chilly powder- 2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Vegetable Oil- for deep frying
- Olive/Coconut oil- 2 tbsp. or as required for cooking
- Chopped cilantro- for garnish
- For making the kofta balls-Mix all the ingredients mentioned above to make a soft dough including bread crumbs. Make small balls out of the dough.
- You can either skip bread crumbs in the dough and coat the kofta balls with beaten egg whites and roll over bread crumbs. The kofta balls can be stored in an air tight container and freeze for later use.
- Heat 1 to 2 cups of vegetable oil in a thick bottom frying pan and deep fry the kofta balls.
- Now for the gravy, in a pan heat some olive/ coconut oil and pop some cumin seeds and whole spices.
- Sauté the onion with ginger garlic paste ,salt and turmeric.
- Once its done, add the puree of crushed tomato and mix well cover the pan on medium heat till oil separates.
- When the onion and tomato is cooked well, add the spice powders and cilantro and stir.
- Now cool this mixture for few minutes and along with cashew almond powder grind this mixture to fine paste.
- Heat some oil in the same pan and add the blended curry paste and stir well till the gravy is cooked and oil separates.
- Reduce the flame and add heavy cream to this gravy and let is simmer for about 2 minutes and your done!
- Place the kofta balls in the gravy and serve hot with Naan, Paratha or even rice.
- If you are making for dinner parties or so, make sure you fry the koftas just before serving and don’t keep them soaked in the gravy to prevent the chances of it getting crumbled !![/recipe]