If you like waking up to the aroma of fresh cinnamon , you will love this version of french toast as it is takes the breakfast to a whole new level. It tastes just like Cinnabon and has a perfect shape to dunk into your favorite dips like maple syrup, cream cheese frosting etc.
I have used thick slices of French Brioche cut into equal size strips for this recipe. It is better to use thick and stale bread(or 1 day old bread) slices for this recipe to prevent getting soggy and to retain the shape after frying.
Cooking time: 15- 20 mins
- French Brioche- 4 slices
- Eggs- 4
- Milk-1/2 cup
- Heavy cream- 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract- 1 1/2 tsp
- Sugar-3 tbsp.
- Unsalted Butter- 2 -3 tbsp.
- Cinnamon powder- 2-3 tbsp.
- Sugar- 2 tbsp.
- Cut thick slices of french brioche or your favorite bread into 3 equal sized strips.
- To prepare the custard-In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, heavy cream, 3 tbsp. sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Heat a large non stick skillet/ pan and melt 1 tbsp. of butter on medium high.
- Dip the bread sticks in the custard, coat well without getting the bread soggy.
- Place the bread sticks on the hot skillet(do not overcrowd the pan) and flip sides until golden brown.
- Mean while mix some cinnamon powder and granulated sugar in a deep dish and set aside.
- Transfer the bread sticks onto the cinnamon sugar mixture straight from the skillet and make sure the toast sticks are well coated.
- Stack the cinnamon coated toast sticks on a plate, dusted with powdered sugar and serve warm along with fresh berries or a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Tip# For a healthier or glutenfree version, use multigrain bread and replace milk amd heavycream with 1 cup almond milk.