Classic Italian dessert made with Gluten free ladyfinger cookies dipped in coffee and layered with whipped mixture of egg yolks, condensed milk,mascarpone cheese with a touch of Kahlúa, dusted with cocoa powder and chocolate shavings.
It is an all time Coffee Lover’s Dessert and one of my favorites too! An easy ‘no bake’ dessert which is always a crowd pleaser for potlucks and parties. There are different variations for Classic Tiramisu. I have used condensed milk instead of sugar for the flawless texture of the cream layer. Liquor is optional but using Rum or any coffee flavored liquor gives that light booze to this coffee dessert. I have used Kahlua here in this recipe but you can use any liquor of your choice like Marsala wine, Brandy, Rum or even Cachaça.
Always make sure you use Mascarpone cheese and not any other kind for the authentic rich flavor and creaminess. Using other forms of cream cheese can alter the taste and might give grainy texture.
Click on the highlighted ingredients in the recipe below,to get the direct shopping link.
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes Chilling time: 8 hours or overnight
- Egg yolks- 5
- Condensed Milk-14 oz
- Granulated sugar-4 tbsp.
- Instant Espresso powder-3 tbsp.
- Mascarpone Cheese-8 oz
- Heavy cream-2 cups
- Coffee liquor/Rum- 2 tbsp.
- Gluten free Ladyfingers cookies-35-45 pieces
- Vanilla Extract-1 tsp
- Cocoa powder-for dusting
- Chocolate shavings(optional)
- First, in a deep dish prepare brewed coffee with the espresso powder, 2 tbsp. sugar and 2 cups boiling water and set aside to cool.
- Once the espresso mixture is cooled, mix in the liquor and combine well.
- Meanwhile ,place a mixing bowl of egg yolks and 2 tbsp. sugar on top of a simmering pot of water and keep whisking the yolks until they start to double in volume and turn pale. Now add the condensed milk and splash of vanilla into this mixture and keep whisking for another 3 minutes to get a pale and fluffy mixture.
- Once done, cool the egg yolk mixture for 5 minutes and fold in the mascarpone cheese. Mix well until the mixture turns light and fluffy. Set this aside!
- Whip the heavy cream in another bowl to stiff peak consistency and a spatula fold this gently into the egg yolk mascarpone cream until well combined.
- Now dip each ladyfinger in the cooled espresso liquor and place on the serving glass dish creating a bottom layer.
- Layer a generous dollop of mascarpone cream mixture and spread evenly.
- Repeat the process with rest of the ladyfinger cookies, alternating with mascarpone cream.
- Finish of with a top layer pf mascarpone cream and dust with cocoa powder .
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on the top and refrigerate the Tiramisu for atleast 8 hours or overnight.
- Make one day ahead of serving for better results.
- Before serving top the Tiramisu with chocolate shavings, slice and serve.
- Tiramisu can be refrigerated and used for up to 5 days.
- Any remaining mascarpone cream and ladyfingers can be used to make mini individual servings.