Decadent European dessert pastry with lemon flavored custard filling. You can either use ready made pie crust or follow the recipe below to make pie crust from scratch.
—-LEMON TART FROM SCRATCH
Yield: 14-15 servings
Cooking time: 12-15 mins
- All purpose flour- 11/2 cup
- Confectionary Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Cold water- 1/4 cup
- Butter- 8 tbsp
- Beans/ Pie weight- 1 cup
- Lemon juice and zest- 2
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Sugar-3/4 cup
- Eggs- 5
- Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp
- Heavy cream-1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla, salt and flour and combine well.
- Slowly add little water and combine with hands to get a perfect soft dough.
- Combine the dough with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- On a marble surface, sprinkle some flour and roll the dough between 2 plastic wraps into a circle to cover the tart pan. (I have used a medium sized tart pan)
- Roll out the dough sheet over the tart pan and trim the edges if needed.
- Now prick small holes on the crust and chill for another 10 mins.
- Blind Baking– Cover the crust with a parchment paper and put the beans on top and bake for 15 mins to get a light golden crust.
- Once done, remove the beans and keep the pie crust to cool.
- Lemon Custard filling- Cream together the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the heavy cream into the mixture and combine well.
- In another bowl, mix the lemon juice and zest of 2 lemons, keep for 2 mins and strain the juice into the the custard filling and combine gently with a spatula or whisk.
- Pour the lemon custard filling into the prepared pie pan.
- Bake for 30 mins until the custard is set and cooked through.10 mins before 30 mins, cover the edge of the crust with a foil to prevent browning/ burning.
- Cool the tart and dust some powdered sugar on top.
- Serve the slice with a dollop of whipped cream or just like that.
- Enjoy cold!😊