Rich and delicious South Indian Chicken Curry. Chicken pieces pressure cooked in onion and tomato based gravy , fine coconut paste and Indian spices.
I have used Instant Pot Duo Mini (3 Qt) for making this recipe. It took around 12 mins to cook the chicken pieces and using Frozen masala cubes and Ginger garlic cubes makes it so easy to prepare this dish in less time. Click on the links to see how to make frozen curry base and ginger garlic preserve.(How to save time and energy in the kitchen!)
This curry goes well with Rice, Roti and Tortillas.
—-INSTANT POT COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY—-
Cuisine: South Indian
Course: Side Dish
Cooking time: 12-15 mins
- Clean and cut chicken pieces(skinless, bone in)- 1 lb
- Grated Coconut(fresh or frozen,unsweetened)- 1 cup
- Masala cubes– 3-4
- Ginger Garlic cubes-2 or 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Coconut oil- 1 tsp.
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder/Paprika- 2 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Half Lemon squeezed
- Garam Masala(All spice)- 2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in red chilly powder, turmeric, salt and black pepper.
- Grind the shredded coconut with few tbsp. of water into a fine paste.
- Meanwhile keep the Instant Pot on ‘Sauté mode’ and swirl some oil in the inner pot of the IP.
- Add the masala and ginger garlic cubes into the hot oil and let it melt.
- Once the masala is melted, add the chicken pieces and stir until well combined. Close the IP with a glass lid and let the chicken cook for 5 minutes in the masala.
- Now add the coconut paste into the chicken masala, mix well, close the IP with the lid.
- Turn the steam handle to sealing position and set the ‘Pressure cook mode’ for 12 minutes.
- Once done, open the IP lid using Natural Pressure Release(NPR).
- To reduce the gravy, keep the IP on ‘Sauté mode’, uncovered for another 2 minutes. Check the salt and doneness of the chicken and and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle some chopped cilantro and keep the curry on ‘warm mode’ or serve hot along with Roti/Tortillas/ Rice.