Traditional South Indian side dish recipe. Chicken roasted in pan along with caramelized onions tomatoes and Indian spices. Pairs well with Rice, Naan, and Roti. You can use the same masala recipe for the classic Indian Egg roast too.
—CHICKEN MASALA ROAST
Course: Side dish Cuisine: Indian
Yield: 3-4 servings
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Chicken thighs(skinless boneless) -1 lb
- Big Tomato sliced-1
- Big Red Onion finely sliced-1
- Lemon squeezed- 1/2
- Kashmiri Red Chilly powder/Paprika-1 tbsp.
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Garam Masala/ Indian All spice-1 tbsp.
- Ginger garlic cube- 1 tbsp.
- Salt-1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick- 1
- Ground Black Pepper-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Chopped cilantro- 2 tbsps.
- Extra virgin olive Oil
- Dry red chilly split-2
- Keep the chicken pieces marinated in some lemon juice, salt, pepper and turmeric powder for half an hour.
- In a large non stick pan, heat oil and throw in some split dry red chili, mustard seeds and a cinnamon stick.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste/cube followed by onion slices and sauté for about 3 minutes until the onions are transparent.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to the onions (salt helps in quick browning of onions).
- Once the onions are cooked, add chilly powder, black pepper and Garam masala and a tbsp. of water.
- Now in goes the chicken pieces to the pan. Toss well and let all the pieces get coated with the masala. Cook on medium heat covered for about 5 min.
- Add the tomatoes and keep on simmer, covered for another 15 mins. Stir in between to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle some cilantro, combine everything well and on medium-low heat let the masala gravy reduce.
- Once done all the chicken pieces should be well coated with the tomato and onion masala and no liquid left in the pan.
- Check the salt and heat level…if needed you can add more black pepper.
- Tip# Replace Chicken in this recipe with hard boiled eggs to make a Classic Indian Egg Roast