Classic Indian recipe. Boneless chicken pieces in spiced creamy gravy. We usually make Butter Chicken for potlucks and our friends enjoy a lot.
Course- Main Course
Cooking Time-35 minutes
- Chicken pieces-1 lb
- Olive oil-2 tbsps
- Butter-2 tbsp
- Big onion chopped-1
- Bay leaf-1
- Tomato puree-1 cup
- Green chilli-2
- Ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
- Heavy cream-3/4cup
- Garam Masala-2 tsp
- Yogurt-1 tbsp
- Chilly powder-1 tbsp
- Water-1/2 cup
- Chopped cilantro-1/2 cup
- Salt-2 tsp /as per taste
- Clean and marinate the chicken pieces with some salt and a pinch of turmeric.
- To make Garam masala-Dry roast cloves,cardamom,star anise, bay leaf,cinnamon stick on medium heat and grind them to fine powder and store in an airtight jar.
- In a large sauce pan, heat some oil and butter.
- Shallow fry the marinated chicken pieces until they are lightly browned and transfer to a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In the same pan and same oil, throw some cumin seeds,bay leaf and cardamom.
- On medium heat,Saute shallots,onions and ginger garlic paste till golden brown. Add some salt for quick browning!
- Add green chilies and some turmeric powder. Saute well till the raw taste of onions are gone.
- Now add the chilly powder,garam masala, pepper and salt.
- Lower the heat and add the yogurt to the onion masala along with 2 tbps water.
- Remove from stove and once cooled,blend this mixture to a fine paste.
- Now melt some butter in the pan again on medium heat.
- Add the tomato puree and stir for a minute.
- Pour the blended gravy paste to the tomato puree and stir continuously.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the heavy cream into the gravy and mix well to get a thick creamy consistency.
- Now transfer the fried chicken pieces to the gravy and let it simmer another 5 mins.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and swirl of heavy cream.
- Serve hot along with Fried rice, Roti/Paratha