An Arabic/Libyan dessert made with semolina (Indian Sooji) and soaked in sugar syrup flavored with cardamom/rose water. Simple and decadent sweet for all occasions.
Cooking time: 45 mins
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Water-1 cup
FOR CAKE BATTER
- Semolina-1 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil/ butter- 3/4 cup
- Milk-1 cup
- Vanilla extract-1 tsp
- Cardamom pods-2
- Sugar-1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour-1/2 cup
- Baking powder-1 tsp
- 9″ inch pan greased with butter- 1
- SUGAR SYRUP-Bring water ,sugar and half lemon juice to boil till all the sugar gets dissolved in the water or until string consistency. Add few crushed cardamom pods in the syrup.
- Cool the sugar syrup to room temp, strain the cardamom pieces and store in a glass jar.
- Blanch some almonds and keep aside dry.
- FOR THE CAKE– Take a large bowl and mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add in the veg oil and milk and combine the mixture well with a spatula.
- Now whisk an egg and vanilla extract into the above mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Pour this cake batter into the greased pan.
- Score lines on the mixture with a knife and make a pattern as shown in the picture.
- Bake @ 350 deg F for 30 mins.
- Take the pan out and cut right through the scored lines on the cake.
- Pour the cold sugar syrup onto the hot cake.
- Back into oven for another 15 mins.
- Cool the cake to room temp or serve warm.
- Fine and coarse semolina can be taken half each.
- Substitute sugar syrup with thickened milk mixture(Milkmaid + Heavy cream) for a fudgy semolina cake.