Delicious traditional pineapple cake inverted after baking to reveal caramelized mosaic layer of pineapple slices and maraschino cherries on top. It is such a decadent and moist cake that doesn’t call for any big decorations or frosting.
—Pineapple Upside Down Cake—
Yield: 6-7 servings
Cooking Time-: 45 mins
- Unsalted butter-1/4 cups
- Light Brown sugar-1 cup
- Pineapple slices-7
- Maraschino cherries-7-10
- All purpose flour-1 1/2 cups
- Granulated Sugar-1 cup
- Unsalted butter-1/2 cup
- Pineapple juice/milk- 1/2 cup
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Baking powder-1 1/2 tsps
- Vanilla extract-1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- You need a 9″ non stick cake pan or a round iron skillet.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter and brown sugar in the cake pan and mix well.
- Arrange the pineapple slices on the caramelized pan.
- Place the cherries in the center of the pineapple slices.
- For the cake, in a large mixing bowl, sift in flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a second bowl, cream together room temperature butter and sugar.
- Once the mixture is pale and fluffy, add the eggs one by one and beat well.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Now add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture alternating with the pineapple juice.
- Combine well using a cake mixer
- Gently pour the cake batter over the pineapple slices in the pan.
- Bake the cake for about 40 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once out of the oven, immediately run a knife along the sides of the cake.
- Place a serving plate upside down onto the pan and turn the plate and pan over.
- Leave the pan on top of the cake for about 5 min until all the sugar syrup drizzle down the cake.
- Now remove the pan and cool cake for half an hour. Serve warm or cold.