This south Indian spicy and dry side dish is made by marinating chicken thighs in crushed black pepper, cilantro and green chilly and roasted along with caramelized onions. It is a quick and easy recipe. Cilantro and black pepper combination is also a proven fast remedy for common cold.
This is one of my favorite ‘Go-to’ recipe to have during those cold rainy days. Best had along with Roti or Rice or even wrapped in a tortilla!
—Black Pepper Chicken Roast—
Cooking Time-35 mins
- Chicken thighs(cut into bite size pieces) -1 lb (1/2 kg)
- Green chilies- 3
- Chopped cilantro- 1 cup
- Curry leaves(optional)- 1 stem
- Black pepper corns-6-8
- Salt-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- Onion-1 big
- Minced ginger and garlic- 2 tsp
- Extra virgin olive Oil- 2-3 tbsp.
- Green Marinade-Grind together black pepper, cilantro, cumin seeds and green chilies to a coarse mixture(not too fine paste).
- Now marinate the chicken pieces with the green marinade and turmeric and let it rest for about 15 mins.
- Meanwhile cut the onion into thin slices.
- In an iron skillet, heat some oil and add, the minced ginger and garlic.
- Once the ginger and garlic gets slightly browned , add the onion slices and sauté well.
- Add a pinch of salt to speed the browning of onions.
- Once the onions are well sautéed, add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well.
- Cover with a glass lid and cook for about 10 mins.
- Now remove the lid and let it cook. Keep stirring in between so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the skillet.
- Add little water if needed and cook dry like a stir fry.
- Chicken pieces should turn slightly golden brown.
- Check salt in between and sprinkle gram masala towards the end.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped cilantro.