Tangy citrus Delight! An European dessert pastry with lemon flavored custard filling. You can make easily with a ready made pie crust or follow the recipe below to make from scratch.
Preparation Time-15 min Cooking time- 30 mins
- All purpose flour- 1 1/2 cup
- Cold water- 1/4 cup
- Salt- a pinch
- Confectionery sugar-1 /2 cup
- Butter-1 stick
- Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp
- Beans for blind baking
- Lemon juice with zest -2
- Sugar-3/4 cup
- Heavy cream -1/2 cup
- Eggs- 5
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- First cream together the butter and sugar well.
- Add the vanilla, salt and flour and combine well.
- Slowly add little water and combine with hands to get a perfect dough.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- On a cleaned and dry marble/counter surface, sprinkle some flour and roll the dough between 2 plastic wraps to a circle so that it can cover the tart pan.(I used a medium sized pan here)
- Roll out the dough over the tart pan and trim the edges if needed.
- Now poke small holes on the crust and refrigerate for another 10 mins.
- Blind Baking-Cover the crust with a parchment paper and put some beans on top and bake till you get a lightly golden crust.(not more than 15 min)
- Remove the beans and keep the crust pan for cooling.
- For the filling, cream together the eggs and sugar well.
- Add the heavy cream and mix well.
- In another bowl add the lemon zests and juice of two lemons and keep aside for 2 mins.
- Then strain the juice into the filling mixture.
- Combine the lemon juice and cream well.
- Now pour this filling into the crust pan.
- Bake for 30 mins till the custard is cooked.
- You can cover the crust edge with foil so that it doesn’t get burnt.
- Serve the lemon tarts with some powdered sugar dusted or a dollop of whipped cream.
- A food processor will get the crust dough made within no time, provided you add the water little by little.
- For a quick lemon tart, get ready-made crust pans and use the above filling.
- If you avoid the lemons, you can get a custard tart!! 🙂